Wednesday, February 26, 2014

HOLY COW LOOK AT THOSE SOURCES

Wassup my musical homies.
So I read the comments you guys left me (shoutout to Ana and Chelsie)

and after some deep soul-searching

I figured you guys were probably right about my proposal being too broad. I was too excited.

So bearing that in mind, I've amended my initial proposal to the following. I will attempt to analyze the underground of hip-hop specifically, it being the genre most likely to accurately reflect Western influences, precisely because it's a Western art form. The West's contribution to rap is very clearly defined, and thus it becomes easier to strain out the purely African characteristics present in the African version. I don't want to narrow down my geographical scope, though - I feel it's appropriate for a final project.

SICK SOURCE GAME ENGAGED



African Hip-Hop Web Exposure - This one is awesome. It pointed me to africanhiphop.com, which is basically a live feed of exactly what I'm researching. The guy who runs it seems really cool, too - I might try and hit him up for an interview via email.
The Hip-Hop Generation - This will sprinkle some social awareness in here. Evaluating music in its own right is all well and good, but to understand it I need to know the environment it was created in.
African Underground Vol. 1: Hip Hop Senegal - Unorthodox as a scholarly source, I know - but this topic calls for hands-on research. Limited to the Senegalese scene, sadly, but it appears to be a vibrant one.
Power of Unity This 2000 Pan-African Movement hip-hop compilation is probably the strongest primary source I've found. Also tenuous as a scholarly source, but too good to pass up. I've already requested it, so hands off.
The Hiplife In Ghana - Interesting in its promise of an evaluation of the hip-hop culture that tends to be inseparable from the music itself - here I can research all the ancillary bits of African hip-hop and how they (break boys and DJs, particularly) used the new forms to showcase what they already had.

Bundle up.


RESEARCH IS COMING.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your humor! It makes reading your blog fun!
    As for your resources, I couldn't help but notice (even though you mentioned it as well) that not all of them are scholarly. You have a few CD's and a website. I guess I won't repeat it since Aleysia went over it on Tuesday on what is an appropriate scholarly resource. Nevertheless I really like the sources you put on here and I think that in the process they will definitely be helpful to your research!

    -Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through your post and found it to be quite entertaining but I do have to agree with Wendy in that some of those sources aren't scholarly per se. Nonetheless, I do think that you are on the right track and am looking forward to reading more about your research in the future.

    ReplyDelete